United States Student Association Endorses the Student Loan Fairness Act

You can support right now! sign the petition and help us get to 200,000 people!

Support The Student Loan Fairness Act (H.R. 1330)!

For Immediate Release

March 22, 2013

Contact:

Kalwis Lo, leg@usstudents.org202-640-6577

United States Student Association

Endorses the Student Loan Fairness Act

Education is a Right

Washington, DC - The United States Student Association (“USSA”), the nation’s oldest and largest student-run, student-led organization, represents more than four million undergraduate, graduate, and professional students across the country.Today, USSA is announcing its full endorsement for H.R. 1330: the Student Loan Fairness Act. This legislation was introduced by Representative Karen Bass (CA) on March 21, 2013 in the U.S. House of Representatives.

On Monday March 18th 320 student leaders from across the country took to Capitol Hill to lobby their members of Congress to co-sponsor the Student Loan Fairness Act and to prioritize student aid funding. The Student Loan Forgivness Act addresses many of the problems that a majority of college graduates currently face in America and it is time for a solution.

According to Tiffany Loftin, USSA’s President, “ This bill addresses many of the recommendations put forth by the policy paper USSA and Roosevelt Institute Campus Network partnered to create. Students from across the country came together to come up with solutions to the issues affecting affordability and access to higher education. We have faith that this bill lines up with the student agenda and that we will actually see some changes to our student debt system. Student debt is a reality for many and will continue to be unless Congress acts in a timely manner.”

Here is a statement from Representative Karen Bass (CA):

“In Washington we talk a lot about not passing debt onto the backs of our children and grandchildren – well there is no more immediate or direct debt on the backs of future generations than the amounts taken from their paychecks to pay back increasingly expensive student loan debts. Education is a ladder to economic opportunity but for far too many Americans the opportunity is coming at too great a cost.”

As the Student Loan Fairness Act is moving along the legislative process in Congress, students across the country are speaking to their Representatives and their offices to make this legislation a priority.

###

The United States Student Association, the country’s oldest and largest student-led organization, represents over 4.5 million students at over 400 campuses across the nation.  We work to develop current and future leaders and amplify the student voice at the local, state, and national levels by mobilizing grassroots power to win concrete victories on student issues.The United States Student Association, the country’s oldest and largest student-led organization, represents over 4.5 million students at over 400 campuses across the nation.  We work to develop current and future leaders and amplify the student voice at the local, state, and national levels by mobilizing grassroots power to win concrete victories on student issues.

Comments

One Response to “United States Student Association Endorses the Student Loan Fairness Act”

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] to record-breaking levels of student debt. DeGette is the 51st sponsor of the bill, which is supported by the NAACP and the US Student Association. In addition to legislative advocacy, COSPA has [...]

Leave A Comment

Social Networks

Big Description

The United States Student Association
is the country’s oldest and largest student-led organization.

We amplify the student voice by mobilizing grassroots power to win concrete victories on student issues. Read More

Action Buttons

Join Our Mailing List

United States Student Association | manager@usstudents.org
1211 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 406 - Washington, DC 20036
(202) 640-6570 (phone) | (202) 223-4005(fax)